The Qur'an on Circumcision
In numerous verses of the Qur'an, God tells us that He has created everything, including human beings, in the most perfect form. In the following verse, God explicitly states this with regards to the human creation:
"We have indeed created man in the 'best of moulds'." (Qur'an 95:4)
This means when a baby leaves the mother's womb, he or she is in the most perfect of shape down to the finest detail. Nothing needs alteration. With regards to the development of the baby, God states the following:
"Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be God, the 'Best of all Creators!' " (Qur'an 23:14)
Notice that God states that He is the best creator - the resulting completed creation of the baby is thus in its optimal form.
In another verse, God states:
"The work of God who has 'perfected everything' (He created)." (Qur'an 27:88)
Also in three other Verses, in relation to human beings, God says the following:
"The One Who has 'perfected everything' He has created and began the creation of human beings from clay" (Qur'an 32:7)
"God is the One who made the Earth a habitat for you, and the sky as a structure, and He designed you, and has perfected your design." (Qur'an 40:64)
"God created the heavens and the Earth for a true purpose, He designed you, and has perfected your design. You will all return to Him." (Qur'an 64:3)
All these verses tell us that God creates human beings, male and female, perfectly in the mother's womb. The design of the foreskin on the male is an intentional act of creation. God did not make a 'mistake' in designing the foreskin of the male. He does not need mankind to take a knife and start cutting off a part of the penis on males, as if though it is a 'corrective procedure' to a design flaw. God states:
"You will not see any flaw in what the Lord of Mercy creates." (Qur'an 67:3)
The proponents of circumcision say there are reasons such as hygiene and other benefits behind them doing this. This is actually an insult against God. Because, had it been 'better' in anyway to not have the foreskin, God would have designed all male babies without that bit of the foreskin - as God states, he has perfected His creation. As per the Quranic understanding, medical research shows that the foreskin serves innumerable useful purposes and is designed intentionally by God to serve these purposes.
Was Abraham Circumcised As Hadith Tells Us?
Circumcision of Prophet Abraham is actually not in the Qur'an, it is only mentioned in the man-made texts of hadith. The Qur'an deals extensively with Abraham, his name alone is mentioned sixty-seven times. Yet the Qur'an says nothing of him being circumcised or being commanded to do so. Rather it was his faith in God and devotion to Him alone which is stressed throughout the Qur'an and which is to be followed. The Qur'an deals with Abraham on very specific matters - but does not say he was told to cut off a part of his private parts.
“They say, ‘Be Jews or Christians and you will be guided.’ Say, rather adopt the religion of Abraham, a man of natural pure belief. He was not one of the idolaters.’ " (Qur’an 2:135)
We follow the way of Abraham by following the religion communicated in the Qur'an, not the Bible where this injunction is found, teachings of God in the Quran supersede them:
"God wants to clarify to you the way of those who went before you and guide you to it, and to forgive you - God is All-Knowing, All-Wise." (Qur'an 4:26)
A Closer Look at 32:7
الَّذِي أَحْسَنَ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ خَلَقَهُ وَبَدَأَ خَلْقَ الإِنْسَانِ مِنْ طِين
"The One who has perfected everything He has created and began the creation of mankind from clay" (Qur'an 32:7)
In this verse God states He has أَحْسَنَ everything He made. The word originating from حَسَنْ (good) is in superlative form, when applied in this manner, it means the infinitely highest form of حَسَنْ. Thus, the translation is "perfected" everything (the same goes for 40:64). "Everything", translation of كُلَّ شَيْء means everything God has made, stars, moon, plants, animals, the human being - including genitalia. Thus the male genitalia is perfected by God.
1) Circumcision is a harmful procedure that removes the protection of the foreskin and exposes the moist internal glans to abrasion and drying. It results in significant sensory loss in sexual pleasure for both male and female, with no alleged health benefits to justify it. It is also a painful and traumatic operation.
2) There are clear verses in the Qur'an against circumcision (i.e. 95:4, 23:14, 27:88, 32:7, 80:17-19 & 4:119-120). The practice of this procedure is in violation of these Quranic verses.
3) The Qur'an does not indicate that Prophet Abraham was circumcised or was ordered to, even though the Qur'an deals extensively with Abraham. We understand from the Qur'an that it is against the laws of God to command such a thing.
4) When the baby leaves his mother, he needs no cutting-off of any part of his body as God says He makes the baby in perfect form - a form that is best to function as a human. The foreskin serves many useful purposes and cutting it of causes life-long disadvantages.
5) Satan pledges to make mankind manipulate God's creation, and gives the example of cutting off parts of the body (4:119-120). Circumcision is an outright manipulation of God's intended creation. A method Satan would use identified in the Qur'an to achieve his objectives is through the use of "fancy words" (6:112).