Keys To Understanding The Qur'an
Let us go over our basic principles related to the manner in which a subject must be conceived and interpreted according to the Quran:
• One should never forget that the Quran is God’s Word and was revealed to man in order that he may have understanding.
• Every single point must be conceived within the entire context of the Quran. To properly understand something mentioned in a given verse, all related verses must also be examined (partial acknowledgement of the Quran is tantamount to its flat denial). We must take for granted the fact that there are no contradictions or paradoxes in the Quran.
• Anything not included in the Quran has no connotation as divine guidance. Once we follow this precept, we shall have got rid of 90% of the interpolations. Anything that is not prohibited in the Quran is lawful.
• If you come across points that seem unclear, you must find a way to consult someone who firmly believes in the Qur'an alone (and does not follow man-made religious texts like the hadith). Anything you've heard should be independently checked and confirmed with reason and evidence from the Quran.
• In trying to understand the Quran, we must not forget that our major aids are our intelligence and conscience, and that the greatest obstacles are traditions, customs, adoption by the greater mass of the public and public censure.